Technology has advanced significantly, making nearly every aspect of our daily lives easier and more efficient. Everything is automated these days!
The automated curtains industry was estimated to be worth $48.2 billion in 2020 alone, and that figure is expected to rise in the coming years. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, here’s a quick rundown!
What exactly are automated curtains?
An automatic curtain, also known as a motorized curtain, is a window decoration controlled by an electric motor powered by a battery. Roller blinds and Venetian blinds are the most common types.
They can be used for interior and exterior windows, but they are most effective on large glass surfaces such as sliding doors, picture frames, and patio doors.
What are the main advantages?
The benefits of an automatic curtain include energy savings, ease of installation, and convenience. You do not have to lift a finger when it’s time to open your curtains – all you have to do is push a button.
And when you want to close them later, turn off the power source and let nature take its course. There are many benefits to having automatic curtains in your home, including:
- Convenience: you can automate the opening and closing of your curtains in the morning and evening by setting a timer.
- Energy savings: automated curtains can keep up to 80% of heat in the summer and 95% in the winter.
- Comfort and convenience: no more dangerous ladders and reaching, also super useful for disabled people
- Ideal for elderly: especially useful for the elderly, who often forget to perform routine tasks
- Privacy: unlike regular curtains, you can control how much light and noise enters your home.
- Security: automated curtains close automatically in case of burglary or fire.
- Design: A wide range of designs can match your home’s modern or traditional interior.
- Security: Some models are designed to block fire to a certain degree.
4 Best Motorized Automated Curtains of 2022
These are the best-motorized curtains on the market right now, so you can find the right pick for your home!
The Switchbot is without any doubt, the most popular electric motor for your existing curtains.
So you do not have to buy additional curtains. Instead, you can turn your curtains into smart curtains! Moreover, it is incredibly easy to use; installation takes only 30 seconds.
This is without any doubt our preferred choice if your budget allows it.
Ideally, if your curtains are pleated and made of heavy cotton, you need to clean the rods first. However, some users complained the motors were not strong enough for really heavy curtains.
After installing Switchbot Hub, you can use Siri voice commands, which is very convenient.
At the time of writing, there is no built-in support for HomeKit.
However, if you are tech-savvy and want to get icons and automation via HomeKit, you can access the hub IFTTT with little effort.
- Easy to use the app: there is an Android and iOS! With the SwitchBot app, you can open and close your curtains remotely.
- Bluetooth: You can even use your Bluetooth to close the curtains when not in the house. The SwitchBot Curtain Smart Electric Motor has a Bluetooth range of 1.2 km! Use the SwitchBot Hub Plus/Mini controller to use the Bluetooth function.
- Timer and Light Sensor: You can set the timer to open the curtains during the day and close them at night. This electric motor has light sensors, so you do not have to do anything!
- Touch & Go: With the Touch & Go function, you can control the curtains with a little tug; they will open and close automatically!
- Power: This motor may look small, but it has a powerful pulling mechanism; it can pull curtains up to 17 pounds (that’s 8 kg!).
- Solar charging: It comes with a separate solar panel that can be charged by solar energy.
This is another solid system. The Quoya Smart Curtains system is a drapery system. You can hang your curtains on a motorized curtain track, creating smart curtains. This motorized curtain system only works for all types of curtains that use hooks.
- App control: you can remotely control the Quoya Smart Curtains system via an app. This means you barely have to lift a finger to open and close your curtains!
- Automatic Settings: You can set your curtain system to detect local sunrise and sunset times and close and open automatically!
- Customizable tracks: Worried that the tracks will not fit your window? Do not worry, and this motorized curtain system is adjustable to fit any size window up to 118 inches.
- Easy installation: wall and ceiling brackets are included. Installation is a breeze. You do not need heavy tools to install the Quoya Smart Curtains System. And if you ever get stuck, there are plenty of videos in the app to guide you through the installation process.
- 8 Smart Functions: Yes, you read that right, eight smart functions. This is no ordinary smart curtain! And here they are:
– Powercut overdrive
– Touch motion activation
– Schedule setting
– App control
– Remote control
– Sunset and Sunrise Automation
– Wide compatibility: works with Google Home, Alexa, and Home Assistant. No matter what home automation device you have, it is compatible!
The Quoya Smart Curtains System is an excellent and affordable choice for automated smart curtains, and you definitely will not regret this purchase!
The Homesupplier Smart Curtain Rod is a hit with users, and these are the reasons why.
- Home Automation Compatibility: This smart curtain rod is compatible with any home automation device, including Alexa, Google Home, IFFT, Smart Life, and Tuya.
- Tug Open: You can open the curtains by lightly pulling on them, eliminating the effort required to draw your drapes open.
- Timer: You can program your drapes to open and close at specific times of the day using a timer.
- Smart Open: If you don’t want your curtains to fully open, you can partially program the curtain rod to open the drapes. The system for future use will even remember this setting!
- You have three simple installation options: central, right, and left opening.
Another solid option is to automate your existing curtain is the WiFi Electric Remote Control Drapery System from Arcwares. Here are some of the curtain system’s best features.
- Remote Control: It includes a remote control that allows you to control the curtains easily!
- Automatic settings: You can also program the curtain system to operate on a schedule of your choosing. This means you don’t have to move a muscle to open and close the curtains!
- You can raise the curtains to 10 cm when the power is turned on. Then, you can manually open and close them like normal curtains when the power is turned off.
- Voice control: Because it is compatible with home automation systems, you can control the curtains with your voice!
Buyer’s guide: what are the different types of automated curtains?
Like any other trendy new technology, automatic curtains come in different styles. Some brands have developed their style, while others stick with the classic roller shades or blinds (curtains made of horizontal slats).
Here are a few types of automated curtains on the market:
Motorized Roller Curtains – Probably one of the best options for energy efficiency. For decades, these curtains have evolved from pure functionality to style! Roller shades are the traditional option for home automation and come in various colors and designs. They are usually controlled by an electric motor located at the top or bottom of the curtain track. A simple pull of the light control automatically opens or closes the curtains. They are perfect for both modern and traditional homes.
Cellular Automatic Curtains – Have you ever noticed that when you close your curtains, the room gets much warmer than it was before? This is because cellular curtains are designed to maximize insulation.
Zonal Automated Curtains – These curtains can block out light and sound in certain areas while allowing it to pass through in others – perfect for people who work at home!
Light Filtering Automatic Curtains – Light filtering curtains let in just the right amount of light you need for people who are sensitive to light!
Fire Resistant Automated Curtains – This is a more practical option. These curtains are specially designed to prevent the fabric from catching fire in a fire or emergency.
Automated curtains are motorized curtains; these curtains are automatic and usually remote-controlled. Sometimes the remote controls come in the form of an app that you can install on your smartphone.
In any case, the experience with the curtains is incredibly satisfying and much easier.
Imagine waking up to the sun shining in your eyes because you forgot to close the curtains the night before. Now you have two options: You can get up from your comfortable bed and draw the curtains yourself, or you can resign yourself to the bright rays of the sun piercing your eyes.
With motorized curtains, you have a third option! You can reach into your phone or pull out the remote and close the curtains, all from the comfort of your bed!
With some smart curtains, you can even set timers so they open and close automatically at certain times of the day.