There are various options for outdoor motion detectors that send text messages, and it’s hard to say which is the best.
Whether you want infrared technology, long battery life, remote control, or a combination of all three, there are some specific features to look for when buying a motion detector that sends text messages.
Although home automation offers many benefits, that doesn’t mean it can’t be challenging. For example, it’s not always easy to figure out which motion sensor is best for your needs.
In my last article, I discussed some of the door sensors that send you a text message that you need to know in order to choose the right one.
But today, I’m going to dive into even more details about the best outdoor motion sensors with text alerts and how they can help you, and how they can help you scale your home security.
Some of the benefits of having an outdoor motion detector that sends alerts are:
- Monitor movement in your home remotely
- Uses passive infrared sensors (PIR) to detect motion up to 5 meters away
- Alerts you with push notifications when motion is detected
- Can turn on other Simple Home products when motion is detected
- Save money and energy by only turning on devices when motion is detected
- Its small and unobtrusive design blends seamlessly into any environment
- Can work on your existing Wi-Fi network
Best Outdoor Motion Sensors that send Text Messages
In this section, we will review the top motion detectors that send alerts to your phone.
Proteus M5 Wi-Fi Motion Sensor Review
The Proteus M5 WiFi outdoor motion sensor helps you securely monitor motion in or around your home, business, vacation home, and other areas, notifying you via email and text message.
The motion sensor is always awake and can be placed in almost any area to alert you when someone walks through or if the area has been left for an extended period of time.
By connecting a Wi-Fi motion sensor to your phone or email, you can keep your home or business safe wherever you are. You can also be sure that your maid or employees will check in as scheduled.
The M5 Wi-Fi motion sensor is discreet, effortless to install, easy to adjust, and versatile.
To install, plug the motion sensor into a wall outlet or use a power cord for greater range.
- This motion detector is useful for home, garage, office, vacation spots, and more.
- No false alarms
- Configure for “motion” or “no motion” and set your preferred times.
- No subscriptions or monthly fees. SMS and email notifications are free. Calls cost 9 cents per call. It’s that simple.
- Activate/deactivate/schedule for a specific time of day, on weekends.
- Seamless connectivity with your home/office WiFi.
- Super fast and easy installation from your smartphone or PC browser.
As much as this product looks godly, some customers have complained that the product stops after a few months of use. However, I believe that the manufacturer has taken great care of this.
Secondly, it is not battery operated. Instead, you have to plug it into a wall outlet.
Overall, the Proteus M5 WiFi outdoor motion sensor is the only surviving outdoor motion sensor that sends SMS alerts, and they are constantly improving to keep up with your home security.
How to install outdoor motion sensors with text alerts
Here are some basic steps to install a wireless motion sensor.
- Consider placing your motion sensor in a high-traffic area (e.g., living room, foyer, kitchen, etc.).
- Clean the area where you want to place the motion sensor with a wipe or damp paper towel and then dry it off
- If the motion sensor can be glued, remove the paper backing from the adhesive
- Place the sensor and gently press it into place.
- You should hold the sensor in place for at least 30 seconds.
- And you are ready to test the sensor.
- Some manufacturers may have additional instructions for testing your motion sensor. You must follow their instructions for successful use.
Outdoor motion sensors are an effective way to receive notifications when there is activity on your property.
For example, use a strategically placed outdoor motion sensor to receive text alerts on your phone when an unexpected visitor is at your front door or a strange car enters your driveway.
You can also use outdoor motion sensors to track daily activities, such as guests arriving or to be notified when your teenage driver has returned home safely.