It would be fascinating and cost-saving to use a surveillance camera as a webcam. Now the question arises, can you use a surveillance camera as a webcam? If yes, how can you use a surveillance camera as a webcam on your PC?
We will try to answer this question in as detail as possible.
Security cameras are getting smaller and more compact, and many new options are coming to the market shortly. Due to the proliferation of compact cameras, it is becoming increasingly difficult to set up a good security system. However, there are some new ways to set up a network of security cameras and security cameras that can be used as webcams.
Can I Use Security Camera as a Webcam for PC?
Generally, it is possible to use a security camera or IP camera as a webcam camera as long as you can successfully connect it to your computer.
The best way to use your IP security camera as a webcam is to turn the Wyze security Cam V3 or Wyze Cam pan into a webcam by updating the firmware with an SD card.
Due to the Corona break and the increased demands of some agencies to work from home, Wyze engineers have developed a simple firmware update to turn the Wyze Cam v2 into a fully functional webcam.
We have tested this firmware update and confirm that the camera works fine on Mac OS, Windows 7, and 10. However, we can’t say the same with other operating systems. It also works perfectly with Zoom, Skype, GoToMeeting, Google Hangouts, and Skype.
Anyway, getting a Wyze Cam is quite affordable, or you can check this cheap webcam for PC, which costs a little over $18.
Besides turning the Wyze security camera into a PC webcam, there are other ways to use a security camera as a webcam.
However, this requires software and possibly an interface device to make the connection compatible. In addition, several available virtual webcam solutions support streaming indoor security cameras as webcams.
If you are using security cameras that are Internet Protocol-based cameras that stream video over a local area network (LAN), then you can also use them as a webcam on your PC.
If you are using a Windows PC, you need to detect the network cameras connected to the local network and pair the detected network camera.
Please note that Windows only supports ONVIF Profile S compliant cameras, i.e., standard-compliant network cameras optimized for real-time streaming video capture.
How to use Wyze Security Camera as a webcam on a PC
To flash your Wyze Cam to a webcam following the instructions below as advised by Wyze engineers.
They recommend Wyze security camera, Wyze security Cam V3, or Wyze Cam pa if you do not know.
You can use any of them.
- Insert the microSD card into your computer.
- Download the webcam’s special firmware here.
- Windows 10: Right-click the “V2Webcam.zip” or “PanWebcam.zip” file and select Extract all to your desktop. Drag the “demo.bin” file to the root of your microSD card.
- Mac OS: Click on the “V2Webcam.zip” or “PanWebcam.zip” file. Drag the “demo.bin” file to the root of your microSD card.
- Eject the microSD card and remove it from your computer.
- Unplug the Wyze Cam from the power source (e.g., the end that is attached to the power outlet).
- Insert your microSD card into the bottom of the camera.
- Press and hold the Settings button and reconnect your Wyze Cam to the power source.
- Continue to hold the setup button for 3-6 seconds until the light turns solid blue, then release the button.
- Wait 3-4 minutes. The camera will reboot, and the light status will change during this time.
Once completed, the status light will blink yellow and blue simultaneously (not alternately).
The Wyze Cam will continue to blink yellow and blue at the same time when the webcam firmware is properly installed, and the camera is turned on.
Note: The “solid blue” in this case is not the same as normally seen on the camera. Instead, both the blue and yellow LED will illuminate simultaneously and appear as a lighter blue.
To use your new Wyze webcam.
- Connect the USB A to A cable to the Wyze Cam USB port and the computer USB port.
- In your video conference tool (e.g., Zoom), change the camera source to ‘HD USB camera.’
- We recommend using a different source for the speaker and microphone functions because Mic audio may below. We suggest you set your audio level to medium at least.
Note: Once the Wyze Cam is flashed to webcam firmware, it will not be able to connect to the Wyze app unless you manually flash it back to stock firmware