Before buying a motion detection wireless camera, you should ask yourself important questions; questions like “How long do the batteries last on wireless security cameras?” will save you enough stress and headaches.
Before you get the cool outdoor wireless security cameras that have been touted to you, you should know how long the batteries of the various wireless security cameras on your list will last. The longer the lasting capacity of your battery-operated wireless security camera, the longer it will work for you.
To answer your question, just as there are different wireless security cameras, there are also differences in their battery life.
But on average, the battery of a good wireless security camera (Can you Make a Wired Security Camera Wireless?) will last about 4-6 weeks with average usage without recharging.
However, most modern battery-operated cameras only wake up when motion is detected, which conserves the camera’s battery life.
You’ll be interested to know that I’ve tested the battery life of some security cameras under supervision both day and night to determine the actual length of time they operate on battery power only and have concluded that a security camera like the Reolink Argus 2 or the eufyCam 2 Pro Wireless camera and two other motion detectors can go for weeks without recharging both day and night.
I have achieved this claim by forcing them to record continuously and determining exactly how far a battery-powered wireless camera can operate.
How long a wireless camera’s battery lasts depends on its battery capacity – cameras with battery capacities up to 5000 mAh will last longer than those with 3000 mAh under the same working conditions.
You can actually know how long your camera is likely to work each day by using this exact method, namely: turn it on and let it record until it turns off.
Be sure to note the time it started recording and the time it turns off. You can either do this or save yourself unnecessary stress.
It would be helpful to have the wireless security camera with the longest battery life you can get without frequent charging for better productivity.
But unfortunately, no one loves to charge their devices regularly.
So if you must buy a security camera with a battery, opt for longer battery life.
How to prolong the battery life of your wireless CCTV camera to make it last longer.
Even though your security camera battery will last a long time, there are some safety tips to make it last longer and serve you better, as listed below.
- Temperature: do not use your camera in extremely low or high temperatures; this will shorten its life. It is recommended not to use it between -10 and 55 degrees Celsius.
- Do not use it in low light conditions: Just as human eyes tend to be stressed in low light conditions, the same is true for your wireless CCTV security camera. It overstresses itself in low light conditions and thus consumes more power than necessary.
- Reduce video resolution: the recommended video quality for your wireless camera is between 720p and 1080p resolution.
Better connectivity: connectivity issues with your wireless security camera can reduce battery life. Always make sure everything is firmly connected.
- Don’t allow the battery to discharge. This is very important; most of these cameras have a warning sign when the battery is getting low; you should always charge it early to prolong its performance.
- Use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) during a power outage; use a backup generator if the power is out.
How far can a wireless camera transmit?
A wireless camera can transmit very far in an open field; a typical wireless camera in an open field has a coverage area between 250 and 500 feet.
However, in an enclosed area such as the inside of your home or rooms, the range of a wireless camera is between 100 and 165 feet.
If your IP security camera has long-range, it is not good for the battery life. Therefore, you always need to adjust the camera angle down so that the coverage area is focused only on the immediate area that you want to record.
This is necessary because it reduces as much background activity as possible in the camera system, saving battery life.
How do wireless cameras get power?
Wireless cameras get their power either from a battery or directly from an electrical source. Most, if not all, cameras are equipped with power outlets. In summary, there are three main ways that wireless cameras receive power, as shown below.
- Some wireless cameras get their power by plugging into a direct power source.
- Some security cameras are battery-powered. They get their power without any wires at all, which is why they are called battery-powered cameras. The only issue here is battery life since they are not plugged directly into a power source.
- Security cameras with rechargeable batteries and solar chargers. All you need is a solar panel to charge the battery, which stores power for weeks. There is no need for a cable for both data transmission and power supply.
So your typical wireless security IP cameras require two main power sources: one connected to the camera (e.g., battery, plug, etc.) and the other connected to the receiver in the control room.
Why does a wireless camera have a power plug?
An electrical device needs a power plug to draw power from an electrical source in order to function well.
Some security cameras that run on batteries do not need a plug to charge their batteries.
However, no security IP camera can function without a proper power supply. All security IP cameras (wired or wireless) need the power to work, either electric power, battery power, or solar power, as I described above.
What is the best battery-powered wireless camera, and where to buy it?
There are tons of wireless IP cameras with great battery capacity as much as 5200 to 6000 mAh. You can get them online at Amazon.com.
Our absolute favorite one is the set from EUFY. The company behind it is Anker.
They also work without any subscription costs (it comes with its own hard drive, so no need to worry about cloud security either) and have a whole range of accessories to go with its wireless doorbell.
- Comprehensive Coverage: From your front door to your back yard, stay secure, and cover every angle of your property.
- High Definition Surveillance: View live stream and recordings in crisp detail on your eufyCam 2C (1080p) and Video Doorbell (2K).
- Charge and Protect: eufy Security products offer unparalleled battery life. Charge once and enjoy half a year of coverage from your eufyCam 2C and Video Doorbell.
- Zero Hidden Costs: Designed to protect your home, as well as your wallet, eufy Security combines protection with convenience in a one-time purchase.
- Install in an Instant: No need to mess around with complicated wiring, self-installation in minutes. Enjoy 100% wireless security.
Which is a better wired or wireless security camera?
You might be wondering, between wired and wireless security cameras, which one should I choose? Well, that depends on your needs.
Although both work for similar purposes, there are still some important differences between a wired security camera and a wireless security camera, as shown below.
Main differences between a wired security camera and a wireless security camera:
|Uses video cable to transmit||Does not use video cable to transmit|
|Transmits the video signal from the camera to a recording or viewing device through cables||Transmits the video signal from the camera to a viewing device wirelessly.|
|It is cost-intensive and takes time to set up.||Reduces installation time and saves cost|
|Less expensive to purchase||More expensive to purchase|
Based on the above differences, are wireless security IP cameras better than wired IP cameras? The answer is No. Any you choose can still work for the same purpose.
However, I prefer wireless cameras because they are easy to install and manage.
So far, you can connect your phone to a wifi hotspot; you can also connect a wireless camera.
There are a few good-wired security cameras out there with good specs and prices. The challenge here is to connect the wires properly, and you are good to go.
Can security cameras work without electricity?
Some surveillance cameras can effectively function well without power. They don’t actually need a constant power supply to work, as they use rechargeable batteries that can run for weeks before running out.
Other cameras use solar power to charge their batteries and work effectively.
In the past, you really needed electricity to run these devices. However, with the advent of renewable energy sources, it has become easier and more convenient.
Even without electrical power, your security camera can work just fine.
How do outdoor security cameras get power?
In the same way, outdoor security cameras get their power either from direct electricity or from batteries.
Although most outdoor security cameras are known to get their power directly from their main power source or server, a few run on battery power.
This involves running a cable through all independent outdoor cameras directly to a single control unit that distributes the power.
How much power do wireless security cameras consume in watts?
All home surveillance cameras do not consume much electricity. Therefore, they can only take up a small portion of the household energy consumption.
However, it is important to check the power consumption of the security camera in the technical specifications to determine how much power the particular IP camera can consume, whether it is a wireless or wired camera.
Conclusion on how long batteries last in wireless security IP cameras
A good battery will only serve you for months or even years if you take every measure to ensure it does. To extend the battery life of your surveillance camera, you need to read the specification manual thoroughly.
Hence, you know when and how to optimize your camera for better performance but less power burn.