We tend to focus more on the security of our front doors and backyard doors than any other place in the house, forgetting that burglars and armed robbers can also enter through the garage door.
Installing home security cameras is good. Installing doorbell cameras is also good, but what about securing your garage doors from burglars?
How about we discuss how to make a garage door more secure and the best garage door security locks for home security?
Trust me, and as a homeowner, you wouldn’t want to leave your garage doors and windows any less secured.
Either you improve the security of your garage by applying the tips listed in this article, or you put your property, children, and pets in a dangerous situation, and one of the ways to do that is by using a good garage door lock.
8 good tips to help you secure your garage door from burglars
- Secure the service door. A weak service door is a major security hole in most garages. It should be equipped with a deadbolt and a sturdy strike plate, just like any other exterior door in your home.
- Secure your access door. If you have an attached garage, always lock the entry door that leads to the house. Too many homeowners rely on the service door and don’t keep the entry door locked, which is very bad.
- Secure your windows. If thieves can’t see the valuable items in your garage, they won’t be motivated to break-in in the first place. Thick curtains or translucent blinds let light in but keep valuables out of sight.
- Make sure you have the right lighting. Bright lights make burglars nervous and can cause them to go elsewhere. We always recommend that motion sensor lighting is better than regular lighting because it saves energy when it’s off and attracts attention when it’s on.
- Install a good security system: a good outdoor camera system with motion detection is recommended for any security-conscious homeowner.
- Get a good garage door security lock: the purpose of any lock is to prevent anything from opening when you don’t want it to.
- Use a garage shield: A garage shield is used to cover the emergency release cord of your garage door, making it impossible for crooks to use it to break in.
- Install Garage Door Security Timer: This feature ensures that your garage door is always closed and secure, even if you are a little distracted. Garage door timers automatically close your garage door when it has been open for a certain amount of time.
Are garage door locks secure?
A good garage security gate lock will make it nearly impossible for burglars and intruders to get onto your property. There are several ways burglars can break into a garage, but a good garage lock can foil their plans.
Garage door locks help you make your garage burglar-proof by manipulating your emergency garage door release system to gain access to your property.
They do this by pushing in the door to create an opening at the top that allows the intruder to insert a wire hook and fish for the emergency garage door release. Some use a wedge to hold the door open.
If you secure your garage door with additional security locks, you have made it impossible for burglars to gain entry.
How does a garage door lock work?
A typical garage door lock works by locking the door track with a latch, usually via a slide lock or T-handle locking system.
There are different garage door locks, some of which are installed inside and outside or both, and each for specific purposes based on the type of garage door you want to lock.
While some garage doors get by with a secured latch or deadbolt, others require an automatic locking system, keyless coded garage door locks, motion sensors, and door handles with a peephole camera.
Best Garage Door Security Locks
MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener
By adding technology to your garage, you can ensure that your garage door is closed when you are not home. We recommend Chamberlain’s MyQ smart garage door system, which allows you to monitor your garage door remotely via the free app (iOS and Android).
The MyQ system includes a garage door sensor and an internet hub that you install in the garage. It integrates with Nest products, Alexa, and XFINITY Home, so it’s a good option if you already have smart home products.
Prime-Line GD 52118 Inside Deadlock
This is a sturdy garage security door lock. The dutiful galvanized interior deadbolt lock as an additional security lock for the night, holiday, and more dutiful galvanized interior deadbolt lock as an additional security lock for your garage.
This deadlock only works from the inside as an additional security lock and is easy to install.
How to lock and unlock garage door lock from inside
To lock and unlock your garage door from the inside, you will need a side lock for your garage door.
We recommend the Prime-Line GD 52118 for the inside of the lock. To lock, slide out the sliding latch.
You can also use the operating lever. To unlock, push the release lever away from the track. The slide latch should open automatically. If not, you can manually pull it back while holding the release lever in the open position.